Monday, May 24, 2010

Jordan Update

We were only in Jordan for a very short amount of time, but we absolutely loved it. When I was here on study abroad, Jordan was my favorite country to visit. The people are all just so kind and amiable.
The major site we saw was, of course, Petra. Our guide there was really great too and he offered Dad 200 camels for me to be his wife, but I think he may have been under the impression that mormon= me being ok with polygamy. :) But actually in Jordan it is legal to have up to four wives; our guide said he thinks one is more than enough, haha.
Petra is just mind-blowing to me. The sites are so huge and I cannot imagine people being so high just carving away. The weather was really great while we were there, too. We hiked all the way up to the Monastery, which is quite the hike. I forgot how long it was... probably because I took a donkey last time, which I was sure to wait until we were done to tell Dad, being as our guide told us not to because of how unsafe it is.
While we were in Jordan we stayed at the Marriott Jordan Valley and it was amazing. I think there were like 40 pools (okay, like 5) and the food was really good and the room was primo. It was right on the Dead Sea so the day after Petra we went down and mudded up and floated around. I don't think it is possible to not laugh your first time in the Dead Sea. It really is such a bizarre feeling, being so bouyant.
We also had time to go to Madaba and see Mt. Nebo (Moses went here to see the Promised Land) and the mosaic church map (a very old mosaic map was found that showed us where many holy sites were).
Even though it was a very quick trip through Jordan, we both really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment